During the installation of Stainless Steel Raceway, it may be necessary to cut the product to comply with fitting restrictions. This is a simple process which can be carried out on-site. To cut Stainless Steel Raceway, the following tools may be required:
- Cutting fluid – ROCOL
- Tape Measure
- Power Drill
- A high quality Drill Bit
- Coupling Kit
- Eye Protection
It is important to note the following instructions are for guidance purposes only.
Cutting a length of Stainless Steel Raceway
In order to successfully cut Stainless Steel Raceway:
- Hold the raceway securely in a vice.
- Using a tape measure and pencil, mark the raceway at the required length.
- Put on your Eye Protection & Gloves.
- Using a hacksaw and copious amounts of cutting fluid, cut the raceway taking long slow strokes to prevent the build up of heat due to friction.
- Remove any burrs caused by the cutting with sandpaper to reduce the risk of personal injury and damage to cables.
This technique applies to both the base and cover of the Raceway.
Drilling the coupling & cover fixing holes
Once the raceway cover and base have been cut, new holes will need to be drilled to accommodate a new flat cover raceway coupling kit or, in the case of 15° Apex Cover Raceway, a 15° apex cover raceway coupling kit and cover fixings, in order to continue the flow of the raceway system:
- Mark the raceway where the coupling holes (to suit M6 fixings) are required.
- Using a power drill at a slow speed, with copious amounts of cutting fluid, drill through the raceway.
- Remove any burrs once the raceway has been drilled. This will reduce the risk of personal injury and damage to cables.
Repeat the above process to drill the 8.5 mm ∅ cover fixing hole(s) which should be situated 19.0 mm (centres) from the end of the cover.
It is important to note that if a high drill speed were used the Stainless Steel would overheat, causing it to harden and making it difficult to re-drill. It would also change the appearance of the steel and could damage the drill bit.
An additional coupling kit would need to be purchased in order to continue the flow of the raceway system once it has been cut. Our coupling kits comprise of:
- 1 x coupling with nuts and screws
- 1 x patented cover plate
- TB1 or TB2 turnbuckles to suit the size of the raceway length
Coupling kits are used to join two pieces of raceway together. The U-shaped coupler is placed inside the raceway, across the join, and secured with the screws and nuts provided. For your reference, coupling holes should be 7.5 mm ∅ and 22.0 mm from the end of the base.
If you require any more information to assist you with all aspects of your installation, please don’t hesitate to contact us.